Top 7 methods to control the foot swelling during pregnancy
Water edema are a side effect of pregnancy, especially in the last trimester. They are responsible for a feeling of discomfort as the legs get heavier, the skin stretches, and the shoes do not suit anymore.
Unfortunately, there is no ultimate remedy against swollen feet. As a future mum you have to live with this until the end of the pregnancy. However, there are some proven methods which you can use to reduce the swelling and regain the feeling of wellbeing. Read here which methods help.
- Put up your legs as often as possible, so that the veins can be relieved from pressure. However, this position will be quite uncomfortable in the later weeks of pregnancy because of the bigger baby belly. You can also sleep at night with the legs elevated on a pillow.
- Bathe your feet in cold water. The foot swelling will be reduced through the vessel constriction.
- If possible, get your legs massaged. This method can help most to reduce the swelling of the legs, although it is temporary. Especially in the evening when you relax, your partner could do this using a good body milk or oil for the skincare, which could also help to reduce the annoying itching.
- Compression stockings are also very helpful during the day. However, they are difficult to put on and unpleasant to wear if the weather is hot.
- In the office you can elevate your legs on a small stool or box under your desk. Avoid positions like crossed legs which impede the blood circulation.
- Avoid sitting for a longer time because this favors the water retention. Try to walk or to swim regularly in order to prevent the edema from building up in the legs.
- It is important that you wear comfortable shoes which are wide enough, can be adapted to the degree of the swelling and do not constrict the feet. You should avoid high heels during the pregnancy, as, because of the unnatural, uncomfortable position of the feet, they support the retention of fluids in the feet and ankles. Beside this your body, whose balance is shifted during the pregnancy anyway, has no stability on high heels and there is a risk of accidents.